10:30 AM EDT
6/11/2013 by Louvonia McClain
Denise Austin is still looking great at 55. In fact, she looks a lot better than women in their 20s and 30s. What’s her secret?
Denise has committed her life to fitness and healthy eating. The mother of two began her journey at 12 years old when she first sstarted a gymnastics program, which led her to being an athlete and even obtaining a athletic scholarship to college. After numerous shows and DVD releases, DVD workout queen continues to consistently workout to maintain her youthful figure.
“As soon as I hit 48, any fat that normally would have gone onto my hips or thighs traveled to my middle,” says Austin. “It was frustrating, but I realized I needed to change up my workout and start watching my calories.” Her secrets to a slim, sexy body after 40 can be found in her book, Side Effect: Skinny, released in February 2013. “After 30 years in the business, I know what works for woman my age and what works for me, and I’ve put together a plan that will help you lose weight, taking it one week at the time,” says Austin.
Austin is known for her emphasis on staying fit naturally, emphasizing that she herself exercises only about 30 minutes a day and does not skip meals. She also prefers the use of sugar and butter over artificial sweetenersand margarine, though she does emphasize portion control, proper nutrient balance, and exercise. Austin encourages people to stay fit at all ages, and conducts research with experts in nutrition, to emphasize realistic, real-life solutions to weight control and fitness.
Check out Denise’s Top 5 fitness tip to blasting fat even after 40.
1. Strength training is very important, according to Austin. “I’m really into compound exercises because they allow you to double the workout in half the time,” says Austin. “If you’re doing moves that target the entire body, like a squat with an overhead press or a lunge with a bicep curl, you can tighten and tone all your muscles in only seven minutes.”
2. Drinking green tea daily is recommended by many doctors. Denise Austin lives by it. “I really believe that green tea is the key for all of us women who are gaining some weight around your middle,” says Austin, noting that research shows green tea extract may increase your calorie and fat burn. “I think that’s a big part of what’s helped me. I now drink one cup every day.”
3. Use a 7-to-7 rule. The 7-to-7 rule is simple. 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. is when you should be consuming meals. Austin commits to this five days a week. “Another trick that really helps me stay on track is to only eat between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Sunday through Thursday.” She suggests lemon water or herbal tea if you have the eat to splurge after those hours.
4. Crank up cardio workouts. This doesn’t mean kill yourself, however, the older you get the slower your metabolism is. It takes harder work to get it going at 40 than it did at 20. Walking is great cardio and by simply adding hills and more speed walking will do the trick. Austin suggest, interval walking as a great way to kick up those cardio workouts. “I love it, and it’s really helped me keep off weight after hitting 50. All you have to do is change the pace of your walk every two to four minutes, increasing your speed for a few minutes and then dropping back to a more moderate pace for a few minutes, and repeat that series for 30 minutes,” says Austin.
5. Plan your splurge day. “I think it really helps if you focus on losing weight one week at a time,” says Austin. “Aim to eat healthy six days out of the week, and then enjoy what I call a “super splurge” on the seventh day.” Splurging once a week or once a month will help you not feel deprived. Studies show that those who have do not deprive themselves during diets are more successful in weight loss. Portion control is key.
Source: Yahoo shine